Flickr

Monday 5 November 2018

AFLEWO NAKURU 2018 REVIEW: WHAT DO YOU THINK?



Africa Let's Worship

Back Ground Vocalists
 A few months ago, I wrote about the wonderful activities AFLEWO Nakuru Chapter was doing in the community specifically the participation in the Agricultural show. Well, in today’s post I'll be giving a review of the major event, that is, AFLEWO Night 2018 vis a vis the same in 2016. I have chosen the two since I did not attend the one in 2017 due to some other commitments. Let’s look at a few pointers:

AUDITIONS
In 2016, I attended the auditions late in May. This means we had only three months to practice more than forty songs as well as carry out community service and ministry in different churches. You have to realise that practice only happens twice or at most thrice a month. That left us with less than twenty 10 sessions of real rehearsal. For musicians reading this, you must be aware of the 10,000 hour rule. What this tells you is that unless an individual disciplined him/herself to work on the music in their closet, our ministry would be nowhere close to excellence.

Chester (Left) With part of the Nakuru Leadership
Good news! In 2018, I think the process began immediately after the set down of the previous year’s major event. Word was already on social media about AFLEWO auditions. By late March, a team had already been formed and zealous young people were ready to voluntarily serve God and the community. I must applaud the leadership under Mr. Philip Kirui and Mr. Chester Omonde. There is a Swahili saying that goes thus, ‘Siku njema huonekana asubuhi,’ meaning that one can tell the goodness of a day just by how the morning starts. When I attended the auditions, I noticed a better plan. There were tables with panelists who sought to find out how committed the aspiring ministers were. This time around, there was a table auditioning those who wanted to join the band. This to me was a sign that things                                                                         had changed for the better.

THE BAND
Pastor Josh of Mavuno Church
 and his co-Mc welcoming the congregants.

I have already indicated that there was a deliberate plan to ensure that AFLEWO 2018 had instrumentalists who were committed to working with the rest of the team up to the end. Truth be told, in most churches, band members are usually left in their own class. Seldom do the choir/worship team think about their whereabouts provided they are good at their job. When discussing simple matters such as the uniforms, the band is normally left to do it’s mix and match style- perhaps because most bands are male dominated, and the notion normally is, aesthetics don’t really matter if your tune is good. Did you attend this year’s AFLEWO Night? These pictures can tell you how maroon colour beautified LCC Deliverance church on the night of 19th October.

Unlike the case in 2016 where there was close to no clear band practice plan, this time there was. The emphasis here was not to seclude the band from the team but just to ensure a synchronous performance by the instrumentalists. As a matter of fact, we were required to attend the rest of the sessions with the other team members. This is where I give a pat on the shoulders of Music Team Leaders- Ibrah and Rose for the wonderful facilitation. The end result was that we had the same people who had been consistently attending practice ministering in the AFLEWO Night. Again, this was a plus to the organisers. Back then, we practiced only to realize on the night that there were ‘brethren-meant-for the-job’ while some of those who had labored especially the drums, keyboard and bass guitar became spectators and part of the congregation. Being a mentor myself, I admit that this broke my heart despite the fact that I was not among the spectators. I remember raising this point to one of the officials a few days after the event. Thankfully and to the glory of God, things were different in 2018.

Baraka on Semi-Acoustic Guitar
Bass Guitarist


Jose on Lead Guitar


Douglas on Violin

Erick on Drums
Above photos: Aflewo Nakuru Page
SOUND
Thursday, 8th 2016 was the day sound set up was to be done. I am not perfect with time but I try keeping it especially when it is something that needs my attention. This was going to be my first time in Aflewo Night. I arrived at the venue at 5pm and saw no sign of sound set up. There was a fellowship in the church on going and there after, a lady friend came around where I was. She was also a member of the team. I realized there had been a hitch in getting sound and that meant the set up would be done on Friday. I had just bought a mic for my violin and really wished to find out how good or bad it was.  Come Friday, at around 6pm, I heard a statement that I think I never wish to tell any instrumentalist performing thus; “To all instrumentalists; you have to sort yourself out. Make sure you have the right cables and test your instrument.” Well, this was not a blatant statement especially in the way it was presented- with a smile. I tried my mic through the DI Box (see the picture below) and nothing was working.
Retrieved from Guitar Center

 Every one was busy with their stuff and seemingly there was no particular reference personnel to address our frustrations to. That was going to be a long night. I tried switching from violin to guitar and that is when I realized the DI box was faulty. The only remedy was to play the violin as it was and perhaps at the mercy of the vocalist mics to pick some of the vibrations. That meant I would use effort than skill to play the violin. I could not even hear myself.
The episode at that time made me realize that I had not also prepared well. It is not just enough to practice the notes. As an instrumentalist, you have to ensure that you have the right gear. When I went for the auditions this year, I had a new mic and two cables (which are always in my bag wherever I go), just in case one fails. I remember one official saying, “I think this is a different person from the one I saw in 2016” after I presented my favorite hymn, ‘At the Cross.’ I went with the cables to the Aflewo night and as I was unwrapping, the Technician came and gave me another saying, “use this.” The feeling was fantastic. The sound was on point and I almost thought there was a fellow violinist at the mixer who gave me just the right frequency and amplitude ( a post on these terms will be coming soon) leave alone the correct reverb effect. A big thank you to the Tech team among whom is a fellow church mate at Mavuno Nakuru, Mr. Patrick Omondi of RHEMA Production Studio.

GUEST MINISTERS
Imagine attending a worship night, you are fully socked into the event then all of a sudden somewhere around 11:30 everything stops. You see chaps on the pulpit moving around with cables, someone changing the drumkit, singers leaving the stage and others come and instead of continuing with the process, you hear this, “Sound Check! One! Two! Three! Hallelujah!” The process takes whole of your forty five minutes and boom! You hear a different kind of sound altogether. There were some squeaky sounds but now no more. The new team manages to bring back the atmosphere and somehow, you get back and even beyond where you were. Time flies and you realise it is already at 5 am. Time to go. How would you describe the event? Won’t you have a tale of two nights in one whereby the first one was a rehearsal?
Above is just a description I got from a friend of mine attending AFLEWO 2016. There was an awesome team from Nairobi that came to minister with us. Well, it was great having them. However, stopping everything in the middle of the service was the undoing. Logically, even if they would arrive late, it would have been prudent to send their system earlier with a person in charge so we could have a seamless transition. The point is that however much we had brethren who just worshiped regardless of who was leading, we are psychological beings and at one point we draw conclusions from the behavior of ministers on the pulpit. That tends to affect our focus on the prime goal.
Mr Kaberia, AFLEWO founder.
There were guest ministers in AFLEWO Nakuru 2018 worship Night. One was Mr. Kaberia, the founding leader of AFLEWO. During his ministry, you could tell his passion for a Godly African continent. He related with the youths and even led a song which they could dance freely as he reminded them that Africa needs their energy. The other two guests sang with the team too and a part from the different colors of their attire, you could not tell they were visitors from Mombasa. They did not even stop to say it.

A section of youths in dance
Part of the Aflewo patronage

Godwill Babete with Guest ministers


GOING FORWARD
We all start from somewhere. I can only say that there’s a great change in the organisation’s operations and if you had stopped attending due to some of the above challenges or even something else, I am optimistic that 2019 will be even greater. Basing on the improvement, we may be required to start looking for a bigger venue. Above all, whenever attending, remember the focus, the God we worship. For those attending as ministers, do your practice diligently; however, remember, it is not so much about the song, rather, the heart of service.
LCC Deliverance Church, Nakuru

The writer of this post joined AFLEWO in 2016.
He serves as a violinist and a guitarist and
 is the founder of Dowe Music & Arts

11 comments:

  1. Interesting to know the genesis to the end of it.I dint attend butthe photos tell it was awesome
    I didn't know kaberia was the founder
    I love the energy and excellence that is put to aflewo

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is great, AFLEWO NAKURU 2018 was a night to remember 👌😀🇰🇪 Matt.24.42 - Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work. AFLEWO NAKURU this year was such an amazing experience in God's presence. It touched many souls. Thank you for this compilation Douglas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wooow at some point during the 2018 Aflewo event night there were people standing God is expanding and enlarging Aflewo Nakuru chapter.To God be all Glory

    ReplyDelete